RECENT POST

You must be wondering, why have I  clicked these photos and put them in my blog, well these photos I  clicked from my sister's garden in Pune, India.  These leaves have very high medicinal value and is very good for health, it is good for the digestion, using it once a week is really good for our stomach.  When my kids were very small that is around 3 to 4 months old, my sister-in-law's mum used to make a kashayaa with 5 more ingredients, This kashayaa we used to give our children a fortnight once, to cleanse the stomach for almost 2 years, They used to cry to drink it as they tasted differently.  My sis-in-law has a daughter who is just 11 days elder to my twins !!, so they grew up as triplets and it was fun & hard work when they grew up, now our little monkeys are 12 year olds !!, God ! how the time passes by.
These little green leaves are nice to eat,  just like that !!,  My daughter used to pluck leaves wash them and just eat it, you can also eat it with a little pinch of salt and pepper on them, They are not only good for health, but has a wonderful taste too !!.
Well, Taste depends upon individual taste buds, we like it in our home, maybe you might also like it when you try them.



Thambuli can be made with many different vegetables & leaves and in different ways but this one is called Doddapatre Thambuli.  I do not have a photo to show how the recipe looks like as I was not able to make one then !!, I have brought a stick of this and have put it in my garden here in UK hoping I will grow one like this soon in this summer !!, I have to wait, watch, care & water to get it set and going.  Well, time only can tell me !!,  But, I couldn't resist, to wait until I cook this recipe so here I am passing this recipe that I adore so much, I thought it must be known to everybody who are new to this......, Of course most of my blogger friends must have already posted a recipe about this, But few of my very own friends & relatives who look into my blog will definitely go through the recipe I believe.  I do not know the English name for this but the Botanical name to this plant is Coleus Aromaticus is all I know.  Here is recipe for this Thambuli, You can also make different other dishes from this, let me start with this now.

First of all I would like to say that this dish I learnt from my aunt Shantha chitti very long back when I was in my college days, One day when I had been to her house she served this with hot rice, eating it, I just loved it immediately, and my passion for cooking was always ready to question her about how & what she made it with, That's it she took me to her garden showed me the plant, she even made me eat one of the leaves and gave me a cutting of the plant, so I could grow in my home & Thambuli whenever I want!! .  We still have a small shrub of that plant in my mom's house !!.

DODDAPATRE THAMBULI:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of Doddappatre leaves
  • 1/4 tsp of pepper
  • 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp of fresh grated coconut
  • 2 cups of Yogurt (curds)
METHOD:
  1. Wash all the leaves well, then roast them in a wok or tawa, so the raw smell disappears,   
  2. I do not roast them too much because I feel the medicinal value of it may be completely lost. So It depends on how you like it, This has to roasted just like you do with your mint leaves.
  3. Then with all the other ingredients grind Doddapatre into a smooth paste, 
  4. Then add Yogurt (Plain curds) and salt according to your taste
  5. Then heat a tsp of oil & mustard seeds and season it
  6. serve it with hot rice & even with chapati it goes very well.
Now when I am writing this I feel like eating it , I am drooling over it now, I envy people who have this grown in their houses could always enjoy making this.  I too have a small shrub in my garden in Bangalore.  well, I am hoping I could grow one here too!!   


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online