RECENT POST

When srivalli announced to make these murukkus for Indian cooking challenge , something in my mind came flooding into my memory lane, even though this murukkus were made for the Indian cooking challenge, Sorry valli, do not mistake me, I want to dedicate these to those two innocent souls, whom never thought something might happen like this someday in their lives.

SAGO MURUKKU (SABAKKI SEVAI)















It is long back, I was just then married, My Dad and BNK uncle have been  friends from when they were small kids, Such a lovely family they are, none of them knew about what high decibles are except for their TV in the house which of course can be controlled by the remote, such soft spoken and  lovely people they are, uncle and aunty and their two children. Their son who is an opthomologist is a brilliant doctor and well known, I will not go into details, Few days after my marriage, I went to see them, I had not attended their marrige and I had not seen their pretty 1 + year old grand daughter.  DIL  was perfectly blending with the family, very talented girl she was, she had done so many creative things, very artistic she was, when we visited them, she served us with some sweets which I do not remember, tea and Sabakki sevai (Sago Murukku)!!!, surprise, surprise!!, right...., It was so tasty she told me she made it, the proud MIL was showing of her DIL's talents, I still remember those scenes.  Absolutely perfect and was so tasty, as always my passion for cookong is always on alert, immediately I asked for the recipe, she gave it to me and I came home and promtly wrote it in my most treasured book-2, you can see the picture of it here.....















After few months my Dad one day called me and said both Mother and the cute little darling who was just 2+  had passed away!!, I was so shocked, If you have ever been to Bangalore, and been to 9th Block Jayanagar, where the Anjaneya temple is.. that main road, The three were travelling in their bike, a lorry had come behind and hit the vehicle, he was thrown on to the foot path, but monther and child fell on the road,  and the lorry just went on them and they died on spot. That was the most tragic thing that I had ever heard, when I went to console them, I had no words, nothing came out of my mouth, I was dumb, I just did not have the strength to say anything to them.., I cried with them silently, it took him a long time to come back out of it, just 7 years back he got married and now has a lovely kid, he never wanted to marry at all, he kept saying you get married I will take care of your kids, It took him almost 10 to 12 years to come out of that shock, and start his normal life again..., The sago murukku what she called it as sabakki sevai, after so many years is atlast was made, These murukku are in loving memory of her, they were quite nice, but the first is always the best, those sevai were the tastiest !!
Here is the recipe for these murukkus....

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups - Rice flour
1/2 cup - Besan flour
1/2 cup Sago
1/2 cup Fried Gram flour
salt to taste
50 gms (half of half cup) - Curds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 ladle hot oil (I used 1/4 cup Dalda)

METHOD:
First of all you have to soak the sago either the night before or at least 3 to 4 hours in the curds, so they become quite soft and can be mashed up nicely.
Next mix all the other ingredients together with either the hot oil or Dalda (as I did, nicely rub the Dalda in a plate until it froths up with a little salt)  and then add the soaked sago mix well  everything together, with little by little water make it into a dough and with the help of a murukku maker which has only one star, make murukkus in the hot oil fry them until they are golden in colour.

Now you must be wondering my murukku are like muchorais, well, I have two murukku makers both of them are wronglythread and I had nobody to help me open it!! one was stuck with Thenzgol maker and the other with muchorai maker, so I thought this was better and Thenzgol and I made small muchorai shaped murukkus, they were quite soft and nice.

I took the method of Lata , as I was short of time, I powdered the Sago coarsely in a mixe and soaked them in the curds for 3 hours and followed the same method.
It is important to soak the sagos well, otherwise they might start to splutter and would be a disaster.
I had no problem it came out well..
I would like to thank srivalli for giving me an opportunity to do this without her knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online