RECENT POST

I know I take my own time to post something I did long back, did you notice, I finally learnt how to write names on the dishes, I had time constraint to download Picasa and see what it is, Raji from Rakskitchen told me how to do it, I did get to check it then, I called my sister vanee who helped me on how to use it !!, then after that I started exploring and now I have ended up with this, but then still photos aren't a great shot!!, My kids Nokia touch screen music one is my companion in taking these photos, how one day I would end up buying a good one, as now on winter is setting slowly I will never have enough daylight to click at least a few good ones now & then !!,

well coming back to the recipe which I have posted here is my favourite, it's a quick one which I make everyday on all the 9 days of Navratri to my favourite Goddess Lalitha, I was doing Lalithasahasranamam on the all the 9 days for 3 times a day that is doing archana with kunkumam 3 times one very early in the morning, before 6 O'clock then the next one before 12 O'clock and the other one before 6 O'clock, and used to give 9 sumangalis with dakshina and some fruits etc., I always love the navaratri festival, wherein I concentrate more on her than another days, but after coming here I am able to do only once everyday or sometimes twice a day and of course no vethalaipaaku to anybody!!, I don't know what to say that in english. This is her favourite dish so my uncle had told me long back, so I always try to make it a point that I make this everyday just so much you see in the bowl! So, I will not be able to give you a perfect measurement but as it is a simple dish you can always alter however you want to your taste.

HAYAGREEVA





Ingredients:
  • one fistful of channa dal (around 2 tbsps)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • a pinch of cardamom powder
  • 1 tbsp of grated dry copra or you can use desiccated coconut or say around 1/4 cup
  • 1/2 cup of jaggery

METHOD:

  1. First of all in 1/4 cup of water start dissolving jaggery
  2. Meanwhile in 1/2 cup water pressure cook channa dal until soft
  3. once it is cooled discard if there is too much water or put it on a stove start boiling it the water evaporates on its own
  4. once the jaggery is completely dissolved in water filter the water so all the impurities are discarded, take this jaggery syrup and boil it for some time until you get a one string consistency to this add the cooked channa dal, cardamom powder & dry copra/dessicated coconut, mix well and allow the dal to absorb the sweetness and cook for few more minutes just keep a watch so that it doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
  5. If you want you can garnish with cashew & raisins sauteed in ghee/clarified butter and serve it hot or cold.

PS: when I make too much, and if it is left over I add hot milk over it and serve it everybody in a glass that's it job done!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online