RECENT POST

I had planned to make this chutney from a very long time, say around 3 years!, when i came here my sister who lives here told me that she made apple chutney, she had an apple tree in her garden, those apples were quite sharp like those granny smith apples, she makes it in a different way, I will post it next time, this time I made it in my own way, for this chutney I used Bramley apples which are called cooking apples.  You can use any apple you like but just check if they are quite sharp, I think those kind of apples really taste well, may be the sweeter version wouldn't be that good I suppose.  Well, I have never tried so I do not know. But, after comming here I have come to know that their are so many kind of apples and most of them I can recongnise now.  That's the best part of it!.

My children and my FIL liked it very much but my hubby did not fancy it much, when I asked him why he said there was a sweetness to it, well, I did not tell him what all I had ingredients I had used.  He doesn't like anything spicy with a tinge of sweetness in it, either he wants it completely spicy or completely sweet !, even though sometimes when the recipe requires a little bit of sugar or jaggery in it I completely omit and make the dish because I know he won't like it.

APPLE CHUTNEY



Ingredients:
  • 1 big Bramley apple
  • 2 flakes of Tamarind
  • a bit of jaggery
  • 10 raisins
  • 6 dates
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1/4' cinnamon stick
  • 4-4 Red chillies
METHOD
  1. Cut the apple, take out the seeds and micowave it for 2 minutes it becomes quite soft
  2. Take a wok and fry cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, tamarind and red chillies and powder them.
  3. Then take out the seeds from the dates, cut into pieces and with little water microwave them or pressure cook them till tender and mash them.
  4. In a mixer, take all the ingredients, cooked apple, mashed dates, raisins, powdered masala, jaggery, and salt as required into a smooth paste.
  5. Then season it with a tsp of oil and mustard seeds, with a sprig of curry leaves and serve it with chapatis or dosas.  It was good when mixed with rice !, that's how we ate!, or you can use on your sandwich too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online