RECENT POST

I seem to take a lot of time to post my recipes, I get very little time to sit and type my recipes. well, i thought today and tomorrow, i will do some of them :) let's see.
Here is one of my hubby's favourite recipe, Pal Payasam. My husband loves sweets, and eats all kinds of sweets. He ends his day by eating some sweet, if he doesn't get anything he eats at least a spoon of sugar, so much is his love for sweets. He says his mouth should be sweet by the end of the day, (his teeth are still strong and nice !) well, this sweet i learnt from my uncle Bhagwan, who was a cooking contractor and used to cook for marriages and all kinds of functions, and lot of people in Bangalore in my community knew who Bhagwan mama was, well he is no more, that is very sad I really miss him a lot, I used to call him up now & then when I started cooking lot of savouries & sweets and other kind of authentic recipes, he used to tell me over the phone, how much, how should I use it, and lot of titbits, I can go on I think, He was a really great cook, I dedicate this recipe to him. He taught me lot of other recipes too, This sweet was made in my sister's marriage. While he was preparing it he called my husband to taste it, as he knew about my hubby's sweet tooth, well no need to say, it was really really awesome, my husband still remembers it. I gave it a try , it did not really come the way he did, but it was ok. Here is the receipe.

PAL PAYASAM (MILK PAYASAM OR KHEER)















Ingredients:
  • milk - 8 cups
  • rice - 1 cup
  • sugar - 2 cups
  • water- 1 cups
  • Ghee - 1 tbsp
  • raisins - 2 tbsp
  • cashew - 1 tbsp
  • pistachios - 1 tbsp
  • Almonds - 1 tbsp
  • Saffron - 2 or 3 1/2'' strands
First of all soak cashews, pistachios and almonds in warm water for 2 to 3 hours. Then peel off the skin of the almonds , grind them all into a fine paste. Take one tbsp of warm milk and soak saffron in it and keep aside.
Now take the rice ((basmathi or ordinary , actually i do not know how well or how soft the long grain or the pudding rice or any other kind of rice cooks. If you know the rice which you use on everyday basis and how it cooks you can try with the same rice)). Here i have used sonamasoori rice, which is available in the Asian stores.
Wash the rice, fry the rice in a little ghee, cook the rice with milk in a heavy bottomed vessel on a very low flame stirring every now and then, so that it doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the vessel. Add a drop of ghee in it so that the rice do not become sticky, or cook it in the pressure cooker for one whistle with half the quantity of milk and 1 cup of water. Take it out and cook again directly on a low flame by adding all the milk, When the rice is cooked well, add sugar, ( sugar you can increase or decrease to your liking, i use more sugar as my hubby likes more sweet in his sweets!!!) Let it dissolve.

Stir frequently on a low flame, now add the ground paste and the milk in which we have soaked saffron by nicely squeezing it , you can also add a pinch of nutmeg (jaakaye), a pinch of edible camphor (use really a pinch or even half of it, you must watch out when using edible camphor as otherwise it will spoil the recipe if it becomes more) when it starts to thicken take it out from the stove. In a tablespoon of ghee fry the raisins and garnish pal payasam. Do not add any flavourings or colourings for the milk payasam. Serve hot or cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online