RECENT POST

This is a Andra dish I learnt from swapna's mum, My friend Uma also keeps doing this often, This is the third time I am making this. uma, who is from Andra gave me a thumb sign after eating it. So, here I am with the recipe. Basically they cut green chillies into it & cook with the dal & green leaves, I have altered it a little, as my children have to eat, I did not want them to bite hot & spicy chili bits. Otherwise the method is same. But, one more thing I have changed is I have used different combinations of vegetables & leaves when ever I cooked this. Uma told me even using parsley it was good so, I did try that too....& it came out well, you can use a variety of vegetables & green leaves to cook this pappu. Here is the list of vegetables you can cook with this pappu:
Variations:
Gonkura leaves, Green Mangoes, Tomato, Bottle Gourd (sorakayi), yellow round cucumber (Dosakaya), Spinach, Amaranth, Fenugreek leaves, Dill (Sabsige soppu/Solikeerai), or any other greens you get goes well.
METHI & DILL LEAVES PAPPU
















Ingredients:

  • 1 bunch Methi/Fenugreek/Menthya soppu Leaves
  • 1 bunch Dill leaves
  • 1 Tomato
  • 1 cup Tuvar Dal
  • 2 to 3 Green chillies
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 4 to 5 Garlic pods
  • 2 to 3 Red chillies
  • 1 to 1 & 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder (instead of Red chillies)
  • 1 Big onion
  • salt as required
  • 2 tbsp Thick Tamarind extract
  • 1 tbsp Dhania powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tbsp oil

Seasoning: 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds, 1 tbsp urad dhal, 1/2 tbsp channa dal

METHOD:

  1. Wash the Green leaves thoroughly & chop them, wash Dal.
  2. Take a Vessel, Add the chopped leaves, Washed Dal, pinch of turmeric powder, green chillies and pressure cook them till 2 to 3 whistles.
  3. Allow it cool, Meanwhile Take a wok or pan heat oil, add the seasonings with red chillies, chopped garlic & chopped onions and fry them till they become transparent.
  4. Take the cooked dal along with the greens, mash them thoroughly with a masher, until dal & green mix together.
  5. Add the fried seasonings, required quantity of salt and allow it to boil for few minutes with the tamarind extract.
  6. Add 1 tbsp of Dhania powder & 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
  7. Garnish it with chopped coriander & curry leaves and allow it to boil for another 2 minutes
  8. serve hot with cooked rice & a dollop of ghee.

NOTE:

  • When you are cooking with Gonkura you can add 1 tsp of Fenugreek seeds & no need to add tamarind as the leaves itself are sour.
  • Increase or Decrease the quantity of chillies or Tamarind according to individual taste
  • You can use Red chilli powder instead of Red chillies
  • When using Tomatoes check the sourness of the fruit and add Tamarind, you can also use Green gram dal with this instead of Tuvar dal
  • Swapna's mum even told me you can omit dhania, jeera and chilli powder and add Dhaniyalu podi in it. This podi I will be posting it in my Masala powder Recipes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online