RECENT POST

This is an other dish which i learnt from my sister, when i had been to her house during Christmas. I don't know, if it is a coincidence or that she would have already made it exactly on the day I go, This was the third time I had this in her house but never asked her what it was , I just assumed it was a kootu, but, she must have made it in a different method, I always forgot to ask her. After I came back home, I suddenly remembered after 3 days, that again I have forgotten to ask her, This time, I did ask her because I wanted to try it out and post it in my blog!!, well, I did not think I made as good as she did it, but, my hubby dear and children liked it, that is all what I wanted. Here is the recipe for Pal Kooda, which my sis learnt it from her Mom-in-law.
PAL KOODA















Ingredients:

  • 1/4 Kg Snake Gourd
  • 1 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 2 tbsp Grated fresh coconut
  • 2 tbsp Rice

Seasonings

  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1tsp oil
  • 2 to 3 Chillies ( Green or Dry Red)
  • 1 sprig curry leaves
  • 2 tbsp of milk

METHOD

  1. First of all soak rice & poppy seeds in warm water for an hour or so, Then cut the Snake Gourd into 2 halves take out the pith from it, if it is still tender do not throw them away, remove and keep it aside.
  2. Cut each 2 halves into 2 halves again and dice them into 1/2'' piece, sprinkle a tsp of salt on them and leave them for an hour or so. My mother says you need to leave it like that because the bitterness gets removed from it.
  3. After an hour drain out all the salty water from the vegetable, and cook the vegetable in a thick bottomed vessel with 3 to 4 glasses of water, or in a pressure cooker for just one whistle, until they become soft, not too soft!, otherwise, they get mashed.
  4. Grind soaked rice, poppy seeds & coconut into a nice paste.
  5. Then add the above said paste to the cooked snake gourd, mix it and allow it to boil for some time in a medium flame, stirring now & then, otherwise it separates out into water.
  6. After to 10 to 15 minutes,
  7. Heat oil in a small pan put mustard seeds when they splutter add Green chillies or Red Chillies,( I used Red chillies) & curry leaves and fry for a minute or two & pour it onto the sambhar.
  8. In the end add milk and put off the stove.
  9. Serve it with hot Rice & upperi or Balka or soured dried Green chillies fried in oil goes well with it.

Note: Here rice is used to bring the thickness to the sambhar & one more thing is I cook my food little spicy so, always use them as you require as the taste of chillies Green or Red vary, You would be best person to judge how many you need!!!!.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online